What was this engagement about?
The B.C. Policing and Community Safety Plan was an opportunity to contribute to policing and crime prevention goals, targets and performance measures for the next three, five, and 10 years. It’s part of our efforts to modernize the justice sector and make it more transparent and responsive to British Columbians.
Every year, local police work on their communities’ local safety priorities, and they also work together across boundaries to address the challenges we have in common. Many British Columbians also do their part by participating in inspiring and creative crime prevention and community safety initiatives. We know that for our police to be effective, we all need to be part of developing this plan.
How can my contribution make a difference?
Citizens’ input helped shape the elements of the overall policing plan for B.C., with special focus on crime prevention, community safety, police oversight, the governance and structure of policing, and a comprehensive strategy around gangs and guns in our province. Key questions included:
- What makes people in your community feel safe?
- What are the priorities you expect your police to focus on?
- How is your community affected by criminal activity?
- What strategies are already working to address criminal activity? Why are they working well?
- What efforts are happening to prevent crime in your community? Are they working? Why or why not?
Details of the Engagement:
Date: Closed Fall 2012
Status: Closed with results
Category: Health & Safety
Types: Online, Email