This map is a complete inventory of sign locations in the Province, though some text on the signs has not been included and some signs are missing. Click on the map pin to read the details of each sign. The sign information is available as open data. You may also download the dataset in the DataBC Data Catalogue.

Inventory

Sign IDSign NameSpecific LocationLatitudeLongitudeCurrent Text
1B.C. Paper Manufacturing Co. (Sign missing)In front of pulp mill in Port Alberni49.247369-124.809363The first paper mill in BC was built on the Somass River in 1894. The small water-powered plant was able to produce 50 tons of paper a day using rags, rope and ferns as raw material. Inadequate equipment for handling wood, and a lack of rags forced the mill to close in 1896. Only the grinding stones in this monument remain to mark a pioneer industrial venture.
2Grand Trunk PacificHwy 16 - 37 km west of Vanderhoof, 1.5km east of Fort Fraser.54.059363-124.537765The last spike in Canada's second trans-continental railroad was driven near this site on April 7, 1914. The Grand Trunk Pacific became the most important factor in the dvelopment of Central British Columbia. However, financial problems plagued the company, forcing it in 1923 to amalgamate with the expanding Canadian National Railways system.
3Overland TelegraphHwy 16, Lower level of Bulkley View Rest Area, 4.7 km east of Telkwa54.667438-126.995548Perry Collins, an American, evnisioned a land route to link America and Asia by telegraph. All attempts to lay a cable across the Atlantic had failed. Western Union had completed 800 miles northerly from New Westminster in 1865-66, when the ocean cable was successful. The overland project was abandoned but the line to Cariboo remained.
4Moricetown CanyonHwy 16, 32 km west of Smithers55.012967-127.331028Sign text currently being updated
5Craigflower Manor (Sign missing)Victoria, at Craigflower Manor, Island Highway and Admirals Road48.451638-123.425061Sign text currently being updated
6From Fort to Capital (Sign missing)Summit of Mount Doug, Victoria48.492738-123.345021Before you lies Victoria, first settlement on Vancouver Island. The Hudson's Bay Co., seeking a new western depot, built Fort Victoria in 1843. in the 1860's it prospered as a stepping-stone to mainland gold strikes. Protected by naval ships at Esquimalt, the fort grew from a distant outpost of empire to Canada's westernmost capital.
7The Gulf Islands (Sign missing)On Malahat Highway directly above Bamberton48.601331-123.534968Beyond the rolling farmlands of the Saanich Peninsula lies the Straits of Georgia. Among its myriad Gulf Island sailed such 18th century Spanish and British explorers as Galiano and Vancouver. In 1858 sail and steamships ferried thousands to the Fraser River gold strike. It is a peaceful scene with peaceful history.
8Dr. J.S. Helmcken (Sign missing)Victoria, beside Helmcken House adjacent to the Royal BC Museum48.419998-123.366997Helmcken, a pioneer Hudson's Bay Company doctor, played a leading role from 1856-71 in the colonial politics of Vancouver Island and British Columbia. A spokesman for those who thought Canada was too distant to make a union practical, he served on the 1870 Confederation delegation to Ottawa. A train trip across the U.S. showed him that the railway to the Pacific promised by Canada could indeed bind the union.
9Metchosin SchoolhouseAt Metchosin Schoolhouse, about 24 km west of Victoria on Happy Valley Road48.380428-123.533591In spring, 1872, classes began in Metchosin Schoolhouse with Mrs. Elizabeth Fisher teaching 7 girls and 3 boys. On land donated by John Witty and with its $300 cost shared equally by local settlers and the colonial government it was the first new school building opened in British Columbia after Confederation. In regular use to 1914 and reopened in 1942, it finally closed its doors in 1949.
10A Pioneer Railway (Sign missing)In a small park opposite Anacortes Ferry Terminal, Sidney48.644708-123.39652For a quarter of a century, the wood-burning steam 'locies' of the 'Cordwood Limited' hauled trains throughout the Saanich Peninsula. From 1894 to 1919, the Victoria and Sidney Railway was vital to the growth of sawmilling and agricultural communities in Saanich. Today, much of the line's abandoned grade has disappeared into an expanding highway system.
11Point Ellice HouseOn Pleasant Street near Bay Street Bridge48.435699-123.376999This historic residence, built in 1861, was the home of the Honourable Peter O'Reilly. As Gold Commissioner, County Court Judge and member of the first Legislative Council of British Columbia, he was prominent during the formative years of our province. This graceful house was the O'Reilly home for more than a century, and remains as an oasis of mid-Victorian charm.
12Wharf Street (Sign missing)Wharf Street below Bastion Square - corner of Wharf and Fort Streets opposite the Dogwood Building48.425201-123.370003From a muddy trail fronting Fort Victoria's palisades, this street changed with the maturing city. In the 1850's, Hudson's Bay Co. ships loaded firs while moored to the shore. In the 1860's, gold seekers, lured by "Cariboo", landed here. In the 1890's, the street pulsated with crews of sealing fleet schooners and miners bound for the Klondyke. Now only quiet buildings recall the hectic days.
13Dr. R.W.W. Carrall, 1839-79At Barkerville53.0835-121.511002Of Ontario Loyalist stock, Carrall settled at Williams Creek in 1867, practising medicine and encouraging the depressed mining industry. He became the cariboo representative on the colonial Legislative council in 1868. On the 1870 Confederation delegation to ottawa, he was the Canadian Government's great ally. When British Columbia joined Canada in 1871, he was appointed one of the new province's new senators.
14The Chilcotin WarHwy 20, at the Dean River Crossing, known as the Fishtrap, 321 km west of Williams Lake.52.376972-125.178408Sign text currently being updated
15Bridging the Cottonwood (Sign missing)Hwy 97, Cottonwood River Bridge, 16 km north of Quesnel53.095362-122.366Plans to complete the Pacific Great Eastern Railroad to Prince George in 1921 failed because instable ground prevented use of the proposed bridge site on the Cottonwood River. Thus construction stopped at Quesnel. As northern expansion continued, the need for this rail link increased and a successful upstream crossing was completed in 1952.
16Cottonwood HouseHwy 26, 29 km east of Quesnel on Barkerville Road. Located in a field close to the historic Cariboo Wagon Road.53.03213-122.113724For over half a century the Boyd family operated this haven for man and beast. Here, weary travellers found lodging, food, and drink. Here, fresh horses were hitched to stagecoaches and miners brought supplies. This historic road house, built in 1864, stood as an oasis of civilization on the frontier of a rich new land.
17To the GoldfieldsHwy 97, 55 km north of 100 Mile House, near 134 Mile House51.938883-121.771117In the 1860's the fabulous Cariboo goldfields were a lure to thousands. Miners, traders, and adventurers, many afoot with wheelbarrows, shared the pioneer route with mule trains, plodding oxen, freight wagons, and swaying stagecoaches. Havens for man and beast were the road-houses and stables every 12-24 miles along the way.
18Paddlewheels NorthHwy 97, 16 km north of Soda Creek52.43887-122.39488Down river lay the perilous and unnavigable canyon. Up-river the Fraser was swift and strong, but sternwheelers could travel for 400 miles from Soda Creek. Men and supplies embarked here in the 1860's for the fabulous Cariboo goldfields. Later, and the G.T.P. Railway was forged across the Province, nine paddlewheelers formed a life-line to the north.
19Yukon Cattle Drive (Sign missing)Hwy 20, at viewpoint 92 km west of Williams Lake51.936786-122.987522Norman Lee left his ranch in this valley in 1898 with 200 head on a 1500-mile 'beef' drive to the Klondyke gold camps. Five months later, winter forced him to butcher the herd. He loaded the meat on scows which were lost on Teslin Lake, 500 miles short of Dawson City. Lee returned, undaunted, to help in the development of the cattle industry on Chilcotin's productive grasslands.
20Mount Baker (Sign missing)Hwy 11, Abbotsford-Sumas Highway, south of Highway 149.031819-122.266052The 10,778' cone on the Washington skyline is a recent volcano. The name honours Lieut. Baker who first sighted it with Capt. Vancouver in 1792. In 1868 E.T. Coleman recorded the first ascent. Eruptions, occurring as late as 1881, left fissures from which sulphur fumes still rise. Once a mysterious, remote peak, its slopes now host skiers of the northwest.
21Sumas Lake ReclamationHwy 1 - Cole Road Rest Area, 8km east of the Hwy 1/11 interchange in Abbotsford. 49.05646-122.17833In 1924, by a system of stream diversions, dams, dykes, canals and pumps, 33,000 acres of fertile land were reclaimed from Sumas Lake. Few areas in B.C. have such rich soil with transportation and markets in close proximity. Produce of the mixed farming on this deep lake-bottom land is an important factor in the economy of our mountainous province. (Attached to this large plaque is a smaller bronze plaque with the text: "The 100th Stop-of-Interest plaque placed since 1958. Unveiled by L.J. Wallace, General Chairman, British Columbia Centennial Committee. October 29, 1967.)
22A Dream FulfilledHwy 3A, Viewpoint over Creston Fields, 8 km north of Creston49.1457-116.53328It was the dream, in the 1880's of W.A. Baillie-Grohman, British sportsman and financier to reclaim these fertile flats from the annual river floods. His canal at Canal flats diverted part of the Kootenay into the Columbia but was abandoned. The first successful reclamation was in 1893. Now 25,110 acres lie secure beyond 53 miles of dykes.
23Blue Bell Mine1.5 km from ferry terminal, Kootenay Bay on Kootenay Lake49.761486-116.856443Sign text currently being updated
24Prospector to Premier (Sign missing)At Robson, across Columbia River from Castlegar49.329947-117.674861Lured from Canada to the Fraser goldfields in 1859, John Robson started a radical newspaper in 1861 at New Westminster and was elected to the legislature in 1867. A fiery critic of colonial rule, he fought for its end by urging Confederation with Canada. Provincial Premier from 1889 to 1892, he died in office, the last of the colonial political leaders.
25West Kootenay PowerHwy 3A, and Bonnington Falls, 19 km west of Nelson49.46326-117.49503When hydro-electric power was first delivered from No. 1 plan to Rossland's mines in 1898, the 32 mile transmission lines were the longest on the continent. Utilizing the 360-foot drop from Kootenay Lake to the Columbia River, later construction of the 5 dams and generating plants made possible the growth of Cominco operations at Trail and Kimberley.
26The Slocan MinesOff Hwy 31A, 8km east of New Denver. 5.5km down Sandon Rd. 49.9758-117.2278Silver was the key that opened the Slocan. Discovery in 1891 of the rich outcrops of the "Slocan Star" and "Payne" touched off the wildest lode excitement in our history. The silver-lead ore was easily and cheaply mined, speeding development and the area boomed. Roads, town and railways remain, linking the present with an era when silver was king.
27Father Pandosy O.M.IAt original Okanagan Mission, southeast outskirts of Kelowna on Benvoulin Rd. 49.84991-119.468052Sign text currently being updated
28Historic Lake CrossingReplaced by the Tske-tem-stu-week-tin sign in 2008.
29Kelowna-Orchard CityViewpoint across from Kelowna49.88145-119.502936Sign text currently being updated
30Eagle Pass (Sign missing)Hwy 1, 16 km west of Revelstoke50.95625-118.40124In 1865 Walter Moberly, government engineer, was searching for a railway route through these rugged Monashee Mountains. He shot at an eagle's nest, and observed the birds fly into a river valley. Following them he discovered this low pass which now carries the main line of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
31Lake of the ShuswapHwy 1, 16 km east of Salmon Arm, towards Sicamous50.814965-119.044381Sign text currently being updated
32The Last SpikeHwy 1, at Craigellachie, 25 km northeast of Sicamous 50.97557-118.72387A nebulous dream was a reality: an iron ribbon across Canada from sea to sea. Often following the footsteps of early explorers, nearly 3,000 miles of steel rail pushed across vast prairies, cleft lofty mountain passes, twisted through canyons, and bridged a thousand streams. Here on November 7, 1885, a plain iron spike welded East to West.
33Railway Surveyor (Sign missing)Hwy 1, overlooking Moberly Marsh, about 13 km north of Golden51.40666-117.04126In 1871, Walter Moberly, in charge of surveys for the mountain division of the projected Canadian trans-continental railway, built log cabins east of here for survey party "S". The preliminary surveys through Howse Pass were abandoned in 1872 in favour of the Yellowhead route, but in the end the railway used Kicking Horse Pass. Moberly Marsh and Moberly Peak honour this early surveyor in British Columbia.
34River of the West (Sign missing)On the Columbia River at Revelstoke (east end of the Bridge)51.04359-118.20424For 1200 miles, in two countries, the Columbia carves its way to the Pacific Ocean. Named after Robert Gray's ship the 'Columbia', it was first mapped in 1811 by David Thompson. This 'highway' for traders, missionaries and gold miners later became a route for sternwheelers. Dammed for flood control and hydro-electric power the river continues to serve the Pacific Northwest.
35Campbell River FireJunction of Buttle Lake Road & John Hard Dam Road, 6 km west of Campbell River50.038816-125.330237On a hot day in July 1938, an ominous smoke pillar near Gosling Lake signalled a forest fire which was to ravage 115 square miles of logged and timbered land. Over 1500 firefighters battled grimly for weeks to save timber and communities. Costs and damages were enormous. Reforestation intensified by the Forest Service, helped to heal the black scar.
36Passage by SailOn Hwy 19A about 6.5 km south of Campbell River49.956433-125.2058On July 13, 1792, the sloop 'Discovery' commanded by Captain George Vancouver, R.N., skirted Cape Mudge and entered the narrow, tide-ripped channels leading northward to the open Pacific. This perilous voyage through Discovery Passage and Johnstone Strait proved beyond dispute that Vancouver Island was not part of the Mainland.
37Seymour NarrowsHwy 19, at viewpoint 13 km north of Campbell River50.111733-125.34325Treacherous currents, swirling eddies, and turbulent tide-rips still harass vessels despite the blasting away in 1958 of the twin peaks of Ripple Rock. Charted in 1792 by Captain George Vancouver, the Narrows has claimed numerous ships and lives and is considered by many seamen the worst hazard to marine navigation on the British Columbia coast.
38Incredible ForestsIn grounds of the Cowichan Valley Forest Museum, 1.5 km north of Duncan48.802064-123.715426Spars cut for Capt. Cook's ships in 1778; logs skidded by oxen in 1860; whistles blown on 'steam-pots' and 'locies' in 1900; countless products made by complex machines; all recall the continued use of B.C.'s forests and growth of the industry. Today, scientific forestry ensures, for centuries to come, the lusty cry 'Timber!' - echoing in our forests.
39Apostle in the RockiesHwy 95, Kootenay River Bridge 64 km north of Fort Steele50.14767-115.80041Sign text currently being updated
40Canal FlatHwy 95, 58 km south of Radium Junction, near Canal Flat50.161217-115.842333In 1808 David Thompson named this flat 'McGillivary's Portage' as he crossed from Columbia Lake to the Kootenay River. In 1889 W.A. Baillie-Grohman joined the two waterways by a canal with a single lock. Regulations aimed at preventing Columbia River flooding so restricted the operation of the canal that only two steamboats passed through - the Gwendoline in 1894 and the North Star in 1902.
41Crowsnest PassHwy 3, 19 km east of Sparwood49.639519-114.694211Sign text currently being updated
42Fernie CoalRotary Park, 6th Ave at 7th St, Fernie49.50616-115.06526
43Galbraith's FerryAt Fort Steele49.617022-115.632648Sign text currently being updated
44Gold at Rock Creek (Sign Missing)At Rock Creek, 50 km east of Osoyoos49.056583-118.999183
45Kootenay Steamboats10 km north of Wardner49.473437-115.511327A colorful steamboat era preceded the railways. During mining boom days of 1893-98 a fleet of sternwheelers ran north from the railway at Jennings, Mont., to Fort Steele and vicinity. Carrying prospectors, freight and ore they battled treacherous currents, shoals, and canyons to provide a vital transportation link. The Kootenays owe them much!
46James Sinclair3 km south of Radium Junction50.60101-116.05859In 1841, Sinclair guided 200 Red River settlers from Fort Garry through the Rockies to Oregon in an attempt to hold the territory for Great Britain. By 1854 he had recrossed the mountains several times by routes with later were followed by trails and highways... a tribute to this great pathfinder, traveller, free trader and colonizer.
47St. Eugene MineAt Moyie, 35 km south of Cranbrook49.282263-115.831963Sign text currently being updated
48The Map Maker (Sign missing)On Moyie Lake, 26 km south of Cranbrook49.368561-115.82443It was May, 1808, when David Thomson, the 'greatest land geographer', sought a fur-trade route along the opposite shore. Thompson's route became the busy Walla Walla Trail when gold was discovered in the Kootenays in 1865-65. Over it moved long pack trains from southern Washington to the goldfields. The course Thompson mapped serves us today.
49Cariboo Wagon Road (Sign missing)Hwy 1, 6.5 km north of Yale49.608373-121.415061It was one of the most difficult construction jobs in the British Empire, but the colony needed this road to the Cariboo goldfields. From 1861 to 1863 the small body of Royal Engineers sent from England surveyed and supervised the construction of this 400-mile road. Their motto: Whither Right and Glory Lead.
50The Dewdney TrailHwy 3 - 38 km east of Hope.49.232956-121.056118A bold venture, this trail crossed the mountains of southern B.C. and kept the wealth of a new land from flowing to the U.S.A. Planned by the Royal Engineers, and built in 1860-61 by Edgar Dewdney, it led over the mountains to Princeton. After completion to the Rockies in 1865 it served for 25 years as a vital route to the Coast.
51Early ChineseHwy 1, at Emory Creek picnic site, 16 km north of Hope.49.51302-121.41513Sign text currently being updated
52Engineers' Road26 km east of Hope49.24028-121.14986A wagon road across B.C. - this was the ambitious scheme of the Royal Engineers in 1860 as miners clamored for better access to the Southern Interior. Sent from England, these military engineers replaced the first 25 miles of the Dewdney Trail with a wagon road. Their work halted when attention shifted to the gold rich Cariboo.
53The Mighty FraserAt viewpoint 140 km east of Vancouver near Laidlaw on the Trans-Canada Provincial Highway49.37781-121.44353Our past, present, and future are linked with the Fraser. The past saw fur-traders, the gold rush of 1858, and early settlers. The present sees water teeming with migrating salmon and highway and railway confined to the gorge carved by the river. The Fraser, beautiful, bountiful and powerful, must always flow in the pattern of our future.
54Fraser CanyonAt the Hell's Gate Fishways view point, 27 km north of Yale49.780672-121.450344Sign text currently being updated
55The Fraser Delta (Sign missing)On Agassiz Mt., 8 km south of Agassiz49.180013-121.764296About a mile beneath the river in front of you lies the old rock floor of this valley. For over 50 million years the Fraser, interrupted by periods of glaciation and mountain building, has carried soil from the Interior. Once through the mountains, it slowed and built this broad fertile delta for 60 miles to the sea.
56Fraser's River10 km south of Boston Bar49.803398-121.4635Sign text currently being updated
57J.W. Trutch, 1826-1904 (Sign missing)At the Alexandra Bridge on the Fraser, north of Spuzzum49.707435-121.414193Construction of the Alexandra suspension bridge was the greatest achievement of one of British Columbia's first civil engineers, Joseph Trutch, Chief Commissioner of Lands and Works after 1864, he sat on the colony's Legislative Council. He led the delegation in 1870 which negotiated the terms of union with Canada and from 1871-76 served as the province's first lieutenant-governor.
58Historic YaleAt pull-out and viewpoint 1.5 km south of Yale.49.56273-121.4327This was the head of navigation on the Fraser River. Founded in 1848, as a Hudson's Bay Company fur post, Fort Yate later became a roaring gold-rush town and for 20 years was the starting point of the famous Cariboo Wagon Road. Yale faded with the gold-rush but boomed again in C.P.R. construction days as a wide-open western town.
59The Yale ConventionAt Yale49.56273-121.4327By 1868, the gold rushes that had founded British Columbia were over, the public debt was soaring and many were dissatisfied with the colonial government. On September 14, 1868, 26 delegates from all over the colony met at Yale for a convention of the Confederate League. This convention did much to stimulate popular support for the idea of union with Canada as a solution to the colony's problems.
60Arctic DivideAt Summit Lake, 48 km north of Prince George54.25-122.620002Sign text currently being updated
61Pine Pass - 2,868 Ft. (Sign missing)Viewpoint 202 km north of Prince George; 109 km south of Dawson Creek55.462117-122.774963Here the great barrier of the Rocky Mountains is breached by the lowest highway pass. Once the remote route of the trapper, it now links the commerce of the north and markets of the south. The John Hart Highway was completed in 1952 and followed the P.G.E. in 1958. Gas and oil lines take advantage of this convenient natural feature.
62Spruce CapitalConnaught Hill Park53.91175-122.747357Simon Fraser's men cut the first spruce logs near the junction of the Nechako and Fraser Rivers in 1807 to construct Fort George. Starting near the original fort a century later, Prince George became in the 1940's the centre of the white spruce industry in Central British Columbia. The vast output of its many mills earned for Prince George the title "Spruce Capital of the World".
63Yellowhead PassIn Mt. Robson Park at the B.C. - Alberta Boundary52.882529-118.451052Name after 'Tete Jaune', blond fur trader at Jasper House, this low pass was favoured by Sanford Fleming in his railway surveys of the 1870's. Rejected by the C.P.R., the route was later used by the Grand Trunk Pacific and the Canadian Northern Pacific; the union of these helped form the CN. Today's highway traces the route of this historic pathway through the Rockies.
64Britannia MineNear the Mining Museum, Britannia Beach49.63455-123.21024From 1930-35, these mines were the British Empire's largest producers of copper. Originally prospected by Dr. A.A. Forbes in 1888, the ores of the Britannia Range were first staked in 1897 by trapper Oliver Furry. Since their opening in 1899, the Britannia operations have survived landslide, flood, fire and economic slumps to become the oldest continually working copper mines in British Columbia.
65Government House (Sign missing)Near main gate, B.C. penitentiary grounds, New Westminster49.216173-122.895838The official residence of Colonel R.C. Moody, R.E., was built near this site in 1859. In 1864 it was altered to become the Government House of the Mainland Colony of British Columbia and was used by Governors James Douglas and Frederick Seymour. After New Westminster ceased to be the capital in 1868, the building fell into disrepair and was ultimately destroyed.
66Pacific Great Eastern (Sign missing)Hwy 99, 16 km north of Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal49.48456-123.24781The P.G.E. derived its name from England's Great Eastern Railway. Begun by private interests in 1912, it was acquired by the province in 1918 when the builders ran into financial difficulties. Operating between Squamish and Quesnel from 1921, it was extended to Prince George in 1952, to North Vancouver in 1956, and to Dawson Creek and Fort St. John in 1958.
67Pioneer NavigatorsHwy 99, at viewpoint above Fisherman's Cove, 1.5 km east of Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal49.360758-123.273876Sign text currently being updated
68Port MoodyViewpoint 1 mile west of Port Moody on the Barnet Highway49.2814-122.84981Colonel R.C. Moody, R.C., recognized the potential value of Burrard Inlet for military defence. Named in his honour, Port Moody became the western terminus of the Canadian Pacific Railway. Although a branch line was built in 1887 to the growing city of Vancouver, Port Moody's docks continue to serve ships of the world.
69Salmon! (Sign missing)At Annieville, on South arm of Fraser River, south of Vancouver49.164109-122.930818This site, on the world's greatest salmon river, lured many pioneer canners in the late 1860's and early 1870's. Pre-eminent was Alexander Ewen, a founder and first president of B.C. Packers, who established a cannery here in 1871. The new salmon canning industry thrived on exports to foreign markets until by 1900 it was among the most important in the province.
70Seat of Government (Sign missing)In grounds of New Westminster City Hall49.20656-122.910699New Westminster, named by Queen Victoria in 1859, became the seat of government on the mainland colony of British Columbia which was created in 1858. Following union with the Colony of Vancouver Island on November 19, 1866, the government remained on the mainland until 1868 when Victoria was selected as the capital of the united Colony of British Columbia.
71VancouverAt the 3,200' viewpoint on Mt. Seymour Park Road in North Vancouver49.35564-122.94114Sign text currently being updated
72Totem PolesAt Kitwancool Village, 40 miles north of Hazelton55.265681-128.065224Sign text currently being updated
73The Dewdney Trail5.5 miles south of Rossland on Highway to Paterson49.020478-117.844934A travel route north of the boundary line', was the cry in the 1860's when gold was found in the Kootenays. Edgar Dewdney built such a route - a trail 360 miles long from Coast to Rockies. For over two decades it carried miners, settlers, gold and supplies - rugged and tortuous route, but Canadian all the way.
74Greenwood Smelter1.7 miles west of Greenwood49.079-118.6847In this wilderness of rugged mountains, ore was first found in the late 1880's. Further prospects led to the building of a large smelter by the B.C. Copper Co. From 1901, copper, gold and silver poured from its furnaces. Fed by the great Motherlode Mine, it employed 400 men. The collapse of inflated war-time copper prices forced closure in 1918.
75Kettle Valley Railroad (Sign Missing)Hwy 3, at the CPR Station in Midway49.011267-118.785683
76The Rossland MinesAt the west edge of Rossland49.078483-117.816217You have entered the crater of an ancient volcano rich in minerals. The waste dumps are the remains of famous Rossland mines staked in 1890 by prospectors passing on the nearby Dewdney Trail. From these fabulously rich workings came 6,000,000 tons of ore worth $125,000,000. The City of Rossland and the huge smelter at Trail were born of these mines.
77Fort RupertIn Port Hardy Centennial Park50.723999-127.491996Sign text currently being updated
78No. 1 MineIn downtown Nanaimo near Pyper Park and boat basin49.165833-123.934617Nanaimo was founded as a coal-mining settlement in 1852. Its most productive mine, No. 1, opened in 1881. From the bottom of the main shaft, one-half mile south of here, a labyrinth of workings extended for miles under the sea. These operations were served also by a shaft on Protection Island at the harbour's entrance. Until No. 1 closed in 1838, it was the oldest operating mine in the province.
79WellingtonOn Highway 19, 4.5 miles north of Nanaimo at Long Lake49.20895-124.021333In 1869 Robert Dunsmuir discovered coal in this area. The settlement of Wellington developed after 1871 when coal was transported first by wagon and later by rail to the wharves at Departure Bay. When the mines closed in 1900, many of Wellington's buildings were moved to Ladysmith, which had been developed by the Dunsmuir interests as a shipping point.
80Coldstream ValleyAt view point overlooking Kalamalka Lake50.22112-119.287856The valley's potential was seen by Forbes and Charles Vernon in 1863, when travelling to silver claim staking 40 miles to the east. In 1864, the brothers pre-empted across the lake 1000 fertile acres which became Coldstream Ranch. Its products ranged from stage coach horses to vegetables and hops. At one time the ranch was Canada's largest orchard.
81O'Keefe Ranch14km north of Vernon on Highway 9750.3637-119.28285One of the earliest cattle empires in the Okanagan began in 1867 when Cornelius O'Keefe and Thomas Greenhow drove cattle from Oregon to the north end of Okanagan Lake. In 1868 O'Keefe homesteaded 162 acres nearby, and within 40 years his cattle were grazing over 15,000 acres. The ranch became the site of Okanagan Post Office in 1872.
82Spallumcheen Valley7 miles north of Vernon on the Sicamous Highway50.45448-119.16595Sign text currently being updated
83Vernon Military CampAt the military camp, a mile south of Vernon50.245733-119.27835Trumpets first sounded here in 1908 calling the Okanagan's cavalry to muster. Joined by infantry battalions, thousands of militiamen and cadets from all over the province came to know Mission Hill as British Columbia's largest military camp. Soldiers who were trained here fought around the globe in two world wars.
84A Beaver Pond41 miles east of Hope, 1 mile east of Park H.Q.49.062483-120.802858Sign text currently being updated
85American RailroadHighway #3, three miles west of Keremeos49.205864-119.889872This old bridge and the sections of abandoned grade are mute reminders of the Vancouver, Victoria and Eastern Railway & Navigation Co. A Great Northern subsidiary it was pushed into the promising Hedley-Princeton mining area in 1907-14. In 1916 by agreement with the Kettle Valley Railroad, its operations were stopped west of Princeton.
86Copper Mountain (Sign Missing)Hwy 3, 25 km west of Princeton49.36848-120.57728
87Fairview GoldAt Fairview Townsite, 2 miles west of corner of 1st Avenue and 2nd Street, Oliver49.17408-119.59732Fairview Gold: The 1890's held high hopes for the lode gold of miles such as Stemwinder, Morning Star and Rattler. By 1902, when the Fairview Hotel or 'Big Teepee' burned, the golden years were over. Fairview's population dwindled as miners left for more promising prospects. But some settlers, lured by the natural attractions of the Okanagan Valley, remained to profit from the lasting wealth of its abundant resources.
88Gold in Nickel PlateOn westerly edge of Hedley49.35632-120.07775From the heart of this mountain, men took over $45,000,000 in gold. It started in 1904 when Hedley boomed with the opening of the mill in town and the Nickel Plate Mine on the mountain-top. The nearby Hedley Mascot Mine, on a claim of less than an acre, mined a fortune. Finally, in 1955 the great orebody of gold, silver and copper was exhausted.
89Irrigation (Sign missing)At viewpoint in Richter Pass, 3 miles west of Osoyoos49.05896-119.53294Irrigation has been the key to development of the Okanagan. So often taken for granted elsewhere, water has magically unlocked the wealth in this dry valley, giving life and industry to 45,000 acres below the ditch. Fed with water from high plateau lakes, the grey hillsides of sagebrush, cactus and sand have literally blossomed into Canada's finest fruite basket.
90Ogopogo's Home19 miles north of Penticton49.728058-119.76442Sign text currently being updated
91PentictonOn Skaha Lake viewpoint, 4.5 miles south of Penticton49.4254-119.60868Sign text currently being updated
92Ponderosa Pine (Western Yellow Pine) (Sign missing)Near Whipsaw Creek, 9 miles west of Princeton49.376578-120.563878The Ponderosa Pine occurs in Canada only in British Columbia where it has adapted to a zone of low summer rainfall through the southern interior of the province. The mature tree can be recognized readily by its distinctive orange bark. The aromatic soft lumber of the pines was used for years to construct crates and boxes for fruit from the Okanagan Valley.
93J.M. Robinson3km north of Summerland on Highway 9749.632883-119.6805When John M. Robinson, a former Manitoba legislator and newspaper editor, came to the South Okanagan in 1898, he found only dry grazing land. Seeing its potential, he introduced irrigation and led in the establishment of peach, pear, apricot, and cherry orchards. His promotion and capital built the communities of Peachland, Naramata and Summerland and founded the area's great tree fruit industry.
94Southern CrossroadsOn Anarchist Mountain, 6.5 km east of Osoyoos49.01304-119.40027
95Dawson Creek (Sign missing)Hilltop viewpoint, 1.5 miles west of Dawson Creek55.766707-120.305306Once called 'The Beaver Plains', this townsite was named in honour of Dr. G.M. Dawson, outstanding Canadian geologist and scientist, whose expeditions in B.C. covered almost every field of natural history. His geodetic surveys of 1879 reported the fertility of this prairie, aided its settlement, and prompted later exploration of its gas and oil fields.
96The First HighwayViewpoint over Peace River, 32 miles north of Dawson Creek on Alaska Highway56.110472-120.638192In 1793 Alexander Mackenzie and North West Company adventurers discovered this route through the Rocky Mountains. During 1805-08 Simon Fraser built forts and trading posts west of the mountains. Furs of the Pacific watershed began moving eastward. Thus the Peace, the only river to breach the Rockies became the 'First Highway' through them.
97Alexander MackenzieAt Bennett Dam site (Portage Mountain), 20km west of Hudson's Hope.56.009899-122.194999Sign text currently being updated
98Pouce Coupe Prairie2.6 miles east of Pouce Coupe55.694615-120.124511Sign text currently being updated
99Yukon TrailAt Lower Post, 575 miles north of Fort St. John59.926322-128.499024In 1898 a North West Mounted Police party laboured northward past here blazing an overland route from Edmonton to Dawson City and the goldfields of the Klondike. Its plan was to prove the feasibility of an alternate route to the Skagway Trail. More than a year later the trip was completed, but the scheme proved impractical and was abandoned.
100Powell River (Sign missing)One mile south of Westview on Highway 10149.874631-124.550978Israel W. Powell, M.D., 1836-1915, whose name is honoured here, was a consistent supporter of the movement which led B.C. into Confederation with Canada in 1871. The plant, Western Canada's pioneer producer of wood pulp newsprint, started in Powell River in 1912, and has expanded into the world's largest single newsprint mill.
101Queen Charlotte IslandsAt Sandspit airport, Queen Charlotte Islands53.252799-131.817993Sign text currently being updated
102K-Shian-The Skeena42 miles east of Prince Rupert54.202283-129.950833Sign text currently being updated
103Bridge River Gold (Sign missing)At B.X. Bluffs, 4 miles from Bralorne50.785807-122.829637The famed Bralorne and Pioneer mines constitute British Columbia's leading gold camp. In the 1860's prospectors from the Fraser River and Cariboo region found gold in the gravel of Bridge River. Hardrock claims were staked in the 1890's. More than $100,000,000 in gold has come from the rich ore of these mines since 1932.
104Lillooet (Sign missing)Across the Fraser River, one mile from town50.70157-121.91495Here was the gateway to gold! Yellow gold lined bars of the Fraser and beyond was the lure of the Cariboo. Like a magnet it drew thousands of miners on the long Harrison trail through the Coast Mountains. From this focal point the first Cariboo Wagon Road started northward in 1858. The trail-end at Lillooet became Mile 0 of the new road to riches.
105Trail of '98 (Sign missing)View point near Lake Bennett on the White Pass and Yukon Railway59.637798-135.154006The Yukon Trail, which crossed British Columbia, was the shortest route to the Klondike. Thousands of gold-crazed stampeders in '97 and'98 fought their way over the Chilkoot Pass to Lake Bennett. From here, at the headwaters of the Yukon River, they left by raft and boat for Dawson City. Their worn trails remain: milestones in the history of our province.
106Ashcroft ManorHwy 1 - At Ashcroft Manor, 11km south of Cache Creek.50.718594-121.328799In 1862 C.F. and H.P. Cornwall settled here and developed Ashcroft Manor. The ranch with its grist and saw mills supplied Cariboo miners. The manor house was destroyed by fire in 1943, but the road house survives. Clement Cornwall became one of British Columbia's first senators after confederation with Canada in 1871, and Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia in 1881.
107B.X. (Sign missing)Six miles north of Cache Creek50.92414-121.41505Connecting Barkerville with the outside world, the 'B.X.' stage coaches served 'Cariboo' for over 50 years. The terminus was moved from Yale to Ashcroft after the C.P.R. construction destroyed the wagon road through the Fraser Canyon. The red and yellow coaches left Ashcroft at 4:00 A.M., and 4 days and 280 miles later reached the end of the road at Barkerville.
108Canadian Northern Pacific's Last Spike10 miles north of Spences Bridge50.571191-121.306486Canada's third trans-continental rail link was completed near Basque on January 23, 1915. In a simple ceremony the last spike was driven, witnessed by a small group of engineers and workmen. The line later became part of the Federal Government's consolidated Canadian National Railway system.
109The ChasmIn the parking area at the Chasm park, 20 km north of Clinton. Turn east at the Chasm exit and 4km to the entrance.51.22021-121.48107At the close of the Ice Age about 10,000 years ago, a stream fed by melting ice cascaded over a falls forming this chasm by cutting into some of the laval flows that helped to build the Fraser Plateau. Individual lava flows are shown here by the horizontal layering. When the glacial ice finally disappeared the flow of meltwater stopped.
110IIIAt turn-off to Douglas Lake Ranch, east end of Nicola Lake50.09941-120.13229Canada's largest cattle 'empire', the Douglas Lake Cattle Co., uses this simple 'Three Bar' brand. Homesteaded by John Douglas in 1872, the 'spread' grew while supplying meat in the 1880's to C.P.R construction crews. Since then, hundreds of train loads of 'beef' and thousands of head of horses, all bearing this noted brand, have been shipped from the famous ranch's half-million acres.
111Empire of GrassAbout 24 miles south of Kamloops on the Kamloops-Merritt Highway50.40541-120.31303Back in the 1870's the bunchgrass hereabours came up to a horse's belly. Some of the transient miners saw wealth in these broad rolling grasslands and swapped gold pan for saddle. In time several 'spreads' in the Nicola Valley grew to rank among the world's largest cattle ranches. 'Cow country' it remains - its fortunes rooted in grass.
112Fur, Gold and CattleHwy 1 - Columbia Street viewpoint.50.67352-120.353329Founded in 1812, Fort Kamloops stood at a natural crossroads. For 50 years it remained the focus of an inland fur empire the roaring mining boom of the 1880's. Ranchers with cattle and horses replaced the miners. They settled, and stayed to see two railways bring prosperity anew to this land of sagebrush, sun and great rivers.
113Great Train Robbery12 miles east of Kamloops50.661554-120.12046Bill Miner, notorious American stagecoach and train robber, stole $7,000 in British Columbia's first train holdup, near Mission in 1904. For two years, unsuspected, he lived quietly near Princetown, well-liked by all. In 1906 he stopped the wrong C.PR. train here and found only $15! After a 50-mile horse chase he was caught and sent to the B.C. Penitentiary for life, but escaped to the U.S. in 1907.
114Jackass Mountain (Sign missing)19 miles north of Boston Bar50.208499-121.569198Jackass Mountain - a memorial to a mule. Wearied by its struggle over the steep, twisting Cariboo Road, one loaded mule reared, bucked, and fell to its death in the canyon. The long stream of freight animals closed their ranks and plodded onward to the distant Cariboo goldfields.
115A Great Landslide1 mile south of Spences Bridge50.412415-121.360356Sign text currently being updated
116Nicola ValleyRelocated to Rotary Park in Merritt (previously at viewpoint at top of Merritt Hill, Nicola Valley)50.06879-120.47178Sign text currently being updated
117Our First TouristsNear Blue River52.099114-119.311288Sign text currently being updated
118The Crimson Sockeye8.8 miles east of Chase50.892365-119.531223Sign text currently being updated
119Overlanders of 1862One mile south of Louis Creek, 32 miles north of Kamloops51.101418-120.141191It has been an epic struggle against the wilderness for the gold-seekers from Eastern Canada. They had crossed the Rockies, trekked through pathless forests and won the swift rapids of the North Thompson River. The open country now offered hope and safe passage. Ragged and starved, they reached Kamloops where many became pioneer farmers.
120Steamboat Saga14 miles east of Kamloops50.75054-120.72656Smooth rivers and great lakes once were the highways of travel. On them plied stately paddle-wheelers, helping exploration and settlement of the Interior. They speeded goldseekers bound for the 'Big Bend' rush of 1864-65. They freighted grain from the Okanagan. They were vital in building the C.P.R. - and doomed by the railway they helped to build.
121Thompson CanyonIn Skihist Campsite, 5 miles east of Lytton50.253317-121.507533Water, cutting deeply into the pre-glacial floor of this valley over countless centuries, has gradually eroded the almost vertical dykes of the mountain of solid rock. The awesome display of crags and cliffs is vivid evidence of the might of the river and the ceaseless power of water at work. In places like this, man sees his true size.
122Ghost of Walhachin (Sign missing)Eleven miles east of Cache Creek50.79736-121.10927Here bloomed a 'Garden of Eden'. The sagebrush desert changed to orchards through the imagination and industry of English settlers during 1907-14. Then the men left to fight - and die - for King and country. A storm ripped out the vital irrigation flume. Now only ghost of flumes, tress, and homes remain to mock this once thriving settlement.
123Beacon HillIn Beacon Hill Park near the waterfront48.408633-123.36595Death, life and happiness are in the story of Beacon Hill. On these headlands, where an ancient race once buried their dead, early settlers erected beacons to guide mariners past dangerous Brotchie Ledge. Here, too, ever since Victoria was founded in 1843, people have gathered to enjoy sports and a vista of timeless appeal.
124The BirdcagesWest side of the BC Legislature, Victoria48.419439-123.371487The Legislative Buildings for the Colony of Vancouver Island were built on these grounds in 1859. Nicknamed 'The Birdcages' because of their quaint style, they were replaced in 1898 by the present buildings. The original Legislative Hall, meeting place of the first House of Assembly west of the Great Lakes, was preserved until 1857 when it was destroyed by fire.
125Skeena River BoatsAt viewpoint 57 kms east of Terrace - Highway 1654.909536-128.379484From 1889, sternwheelers and smaller craft fought their way through the coast Mountains, churning past such awesome places as 'The Devil's Elbow' and 'The Hornet's Nest'. Men and supplies were freighted upstream, furs and gold downstream. A quarter century of colour and excitement began to fade in 1912, as the Grand Trunk Pacific neared completion.
126LadysmithAt Ladysmith, beside Crown Zellerbach offices48.992467-123.816367An 'instant' town of the past. In 1898 James Dunsmuir, the coal baron, moved buildings by rail from Wellington to establish this coal shipping port. Nearby copper mines added a smelter in 1902, but only pilings mark that site. Railroad logging aided the town's growth, and logging continues to support the transplanted town that coal built on Oyster Harbour.
127A Versatile PioneerBeside Highway 4 at Sproat Lake49.279283-125.113967Sproat Lake is named for Gilbert Malcolm Sproat, scholar, author, anthropologist, businessman, and avid British Columbian from his arrival in 1860. He co-founded Port Alberni's first sawmill in 1861, was British Columbia's first agent-general in London from 1872 to 1876, served on the Indian Land Commission until 1880, and held several offices in the Kootenays until his retirement in 1889.
128The First PremierAt McCreight Lake, 2.5 miles east of Kelsey Bay Highway, 20 miles north of Campbell River50.287317-125.645973Irish-born Victoria lawyer John Foster McCreight was selected by Lieutenant-Governor Trutch to be British Columbia's first premier. Entering the Executive Council in July 1871, he laid the legislative base for the new province from November 1871 until defeated on a confidence vote in December 1872. Leaving politics in 1875, he was appointed to the Provincial Supreme Court in 1880 and retired in 1897.
129Irving HouseAt the New Westminster Historic Centre and Museum49.208017-122.906317Arriving in British Columbia from the United States in 1859, Scottish-born Capt. William Irving pioneered the riverboat trade of the lower Fraser River. In 1862-64, Royal Engineers built his fine home of California redwood in the Popular San Francisco Goth Revival style. It stands almost unchanged, an expression of the prosperity and tastes of the 19th century commercial classes.
130GoldenView point near Golden on Highway 151.29996-116.95979This was once the loading point for Upper Columbia sternwheelers. Completion of the C.P.R. in 1886 heralded the steamboat era when colourful little craft like the 'Duchess' freighted to the Columbia Lake and waypoints. Smelters built in 1904-05 were never 'blown-in'. Camps, steamers and smelters have gone, but Golden thrives because of its strategic location on the nation's major travel routes.
131Inverness CanneryAt Port Edward, on the site of the Inverness Cannery54.198-130.255233The developing Provincial salmon-fishing industry spread northward when the Inverness Cannery opened here in 1867. The first cannery in northern British Columbia, it took advantage of the abundant sockeye runs up the Skeena River to challenge the dominance of the canneries along the lower Fraser. Closed finally in 1950, the plant was destroyed by fire in 1973.
132MetlakatlaNear wharf at Metlakatla54.337145-130.444325Sign text currently being updated
133Atlin CemeteryAt Atlin Cemetery in Atlin59.581053-133.670512In 1898, Fritz Miller and Kenny McLaren found gold on nearby Pine Creek, triggering British Columbia's last placer gold rush. The boom subsided by 1908, but gold has kept Atlin alive. Now Miller and McLaren lie here among hard bitten prospectors, young miners, northern aviators, brave women, and newborn infants, all part of Atlin's pioneer heritage. R.I.P.
134Marriage of East and WestKootenay Pass Summit on Highway 3 at Stag Leap Park49.0582-117.04088The completion of the Kootenay Skyway portion of Highway #3 on August 15, 1964 was commemorated during the Commonwealth's first outdoor Cabinet meeting that also featured the naming of Bridal Lake (formerly Summit Lake) to symbolize the 'marriage' of the East and West Kootenays, now joined together by the highest section of maintained paved all-use highway (summit elevation 1774 metres) in Canada.
135Park Bridge - Kicking Horse CanyonKicking Horse Canyon - 12.5 km east of Golden51.279242-116.803672This graceful structure, measuring 405 metres in length and soaring 90 metres high, was a joint BC- Canada project completed in August 2007. The Park Bridge serves as a tribute to those who built it and as a significant transportation link that follows the same challenging route through this historic canyon previously traversed by the Palliser Expedition, the Canadian Pacific Railway and the original highway.
136The Okanagan Mountain Fire of 2003Antler's Beach, south of Peachland49.739593-119.764549Directly across Lake Okanagan, on August 16, 2003, lightening struck a tree at Squally Point. The ensuing blaze consumed over 25,000 hectares as it spread to Kelowna, Myra Canyon, and Naramata. More than 33,000 people were evacuated and 238 homes were destroyed or damaged. The Myra Canyon section of the Trans Canada Trail saw 12 historic wooden railway trestles destroyed and 2 steel ones damaged.
137Tk'ermstiwix'tn (Tske-tem-stu-weekh-tin) The swim across to each other placeThe William R. Bennett Bridge, Kelowna49.87905-119.522979This is an important heritage site of the Okanagan (Syilx) people who have used this area as a village and lake crossing for thousands of years. During low water, a natural peninsula extended from this point to within several hundred feet of the Kelowna shoreline, providing a vital link between Syilx communities on both sides of the lake.
138Ootsa Lake Nechako ReservoirOotsa-Nadine and Ootsa Lake Hill Roads53.805-126.0427In 1952, the Kenney Dam was constructed on the Nechako River to service the new Alcan aluminum smelter at Kitimat, resulting in the creation of the Nechako Reservoir and the relocation of over 75 families. The damming also linked the rivers and lakes of Ootsa, Intata, Whitesail, Chelaslie, Tetachuk, Tahtsa and Natalkuz into the reservoir with a surface area of over 90,000 hectares.
139Fisherville - The Town That Sat On a Gold MineAt Wildhorse Creek near Fort Steele49.620296-115.619943The 1864 gold rush at Wild Horse Creek created the town of Fisherville, named after Jack Fisher, prospector. Located approximately 6 kms up Ft. Steele-Wildhorse Road, it briefly flourished as a home for hundreds of gold-hungry miners. When gold was discovered underneath the town, it was dismantled and moved uphill to a new site later called Wild Horse. Little remains of Fisherville except ghostly memories and faded dreams.
140An American RailroadHwy 3 pullout, 5 km west of Ashnola River Road, Keremeos49.205864-119.889872
141Dewdney Trail & MoyieHwy 3 eastbound pullout, 1 km south of Moyie49.282-115.832033
142George Mercer Dawson (1849-1901)Hwy 3 westbound pullout, 6 km west of Sparwood49.67947-114.88937
143Kootenay River Lumber MillsWardner Provincial Park, 2.5 km from Hwy 3 on Laurier Street in Wardner49.245782-115.251848
144Natal, Michel and Middletown (1898-1976)Hwy 3 westbound pullout, 4 km east of Sparwood49.7182-114.8409
145Railway CentennialVan Horne Park, Hwy 3, Cranbrook at the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel, 57 Van Horne St south49.50957-115.77575
146Wildhorse CreekWardner Ft. Steele Road near Fort Steele in pullout49.371396-115.372071
147Baker StreetHwy 3A/3B/6 pullout, 2 km west of Ymir Rd (Hwy 6)49.48574-117.31043
148Boundary Falls SmelterHwy 3 pullout, 6 km east of Thomet Rd, Midway49.039367-118.7047
149Cascade - Gateway to the Boundary CountryHwy 395, 400m south of Hwy 3, west of Christina Lake49.020367-118.217633
150Copper StreetCopper St, Greenwood49.079-118.6847
151Eholt - Divisional Point Of The BoundaryHwy 3 pullout, Eholt, 13 km east of Greenwood49.15426-118.54563
152Grand Forks - Mining And AgricultureHwy 3 pullout, 2.5 km west of Hwy 41, Grand Forks49.001733-118.532467
153Midway - Railways and HotelsFrank Carpenter Memorial Riverfront Park, 5th Ave at Florence St, Midway49.005662-118.776417
154Rock Creek Gold RushOlsen Pk, Hwy 3 at Hwy 33, Rock Creek49.056583-118.999183
155Salmo - Mining And LoggingHwy 3 westbound pullout, 5 km south of Salmo49.15514-117.26796
156Kootenay LandingHwy 3A North of Duck Lake49.17423-116.39256
157Eagle ValleyHwy 3, 10 km east of Keremeos49.15095-119.73627
158Spotted LakeHwy 3 at Kobau Lookout FS Rd, 12 km west of Osoyoos49.08447-119.59409
159Ginger GoodwinGraveyard on Minto Rd, 7 km south of Courtenay49.637426-125.007849
160Golden SikhsHwy 1 near Golden51.300889-116.953747The first Sikhs arrived in Golden in 1902 to work in the mill of the Columbia River Lumber Company. Their Gurdwara (temple), one of the earliest in BC, became a focus of cultural identity and religious ceremony for the Sikh community. Their significant contributions to the settlement and development of the region remain a legacy.