One of our most important guiding principles is to use consistent, fact-based approaches with all caribou herds in the province. We will adopt a new format of ‘herd plans’ that will:
- Provide a consistent approach to managing all herds in C.
- Recognize the unique circumstances of each herd
- Build from current (legacy) caribou management plans
- Consider First Nations’ and stakeholder interests and ideas
- Be included in larger regional plans
Herd plans will describe the status of each herd, and the threats faced by that herd. The plans will take note of previous actions, and actions that are planned. As we implement the herd plans, we will carefully monitor how well the caribou respond, and modify our actions as needed. Herd plans will help us document our decisions and discuss issues with First Nations and with stakeholders