The options that the ministry is exploring originated through feedback received during two rounds of online and face-to-face consultations. The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure will now take the feedback received, as well as input from Indigenous communities and local governments, onto the next phase. This includes engineering design work to refine the scope and costs.
The ministry will be exploring options to:
- Add capacity to the existing parking lots on Highway 4.
- Add centre median barriers as well as roadside barriers in some areas at the existing parking area to prevent unsafe vehicle movements along and across the highway.
- Construct a pedestrian overpass near the parking lot over Highway 4 to create a safe crossing of the highway.
- Expand the trail network to allow visitors to walk safely from their vehicles to the grove.
- Construct U-turn facilities east and west of Cathedral Grove to enable drivers to safely turn around after visiting the park.
The ministry will present details of the preferred options once engineering work is completed.