What is this engagement about?
On June 19, 2020, B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix appointed Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond to lead an independent investigation into allegations of racism in the province’s health care system. Turpel-Lafond and her team are currently working on that investigation.
The purposes of the investigation are as follows:
- to inquire into and report on alleged incidents of Indigenous-specific racism in emergency departments in B.C., situated and examined within a broader context of Indigenous-specific systemic racism in the health care system in B.C.
- to make recommendations regarding the matters described in section 3.
A core function of the investigation is to collect data and information to understand the presence and extent of Indigenous-specific discrimination in health services in B.C. All data and information which arises from the operating and reporting of this investigation, including surveys, individual incidents and testimonials, interviews, submissions and analysis of pre-existing sources of information are subject to these data governance provisions.
Indigenous survey feedback will be accepted until 4 pm (PDT) August 6, 2020.
Health care worker survey open until 4 pm (PDT) August 27, 2020.
Email and telephone submissions will remain open until December 31, 2020.
Ways to get involved:
- If you’re Indigenous, please complete the survey, asking for your experiences when seeking and receiving health care in British Columbia.
- If you’re a health care worker, please complete the survey asking for your experience as an individual working in the health system in BC.
- If you want to share your specific story of experiencing or witnessing racism in the B.C. health care system, you can email the investigation team at email@example.com
- If you want to share your specific story of experiencing or witnessing racism in the B.C. health care system, you can call and leave a message for the investigation team at 1-888-600-3078
How can my contribution make a difference?
The investigation will summarize the results of its work in a written report submitted to the Minister of Health by no later than Dec. 31, 2020. A phased approach may be taken to development and issuance of the reports.
Details of the Consultation:
Date: July 9 to August 27, 2020
Category: Health & Safety
Type: Online, email, phone