What is this engagement about?
The Ministry of Health has two main goals for the BC PharmaCare program:
- To cover drugs that support the health and well-being of British Columbians; and
- To make sure that the drugs PharmaCare covers are affordable and give the best value for money.
To meet the first goal, PharmaCare covers a drug only if it has a proven record of safety and effectiveness. To meet the second goal, PharmaCare compares each drug to the drugs it already covers that treat the same condition. For example, if more than one drug provides the same health benefit, PharmaCare may cover only the drug(s) that offers the best value.
Before PharmaCare decides if it will cover a drug, the drug goes through a full review to find out if covering it aligns
with the goals above. Patients, caregivers and patient groups have the opportunity to add their voices to the drug
Drug(s) available for input:
- Aclidinium bromide (TUDORZA GENUAIR)
- Aclidinium bromide-formoterol fumarate (DUAKLIR GENUAIR)
- Beclomethasone dipropionate (QVAR)
- Budesonide (PULMICORT TURBUHALER)
- Budesonide-formoterol fumarate (SYMBICORT TURBUHALER)
- Ciclesonide (ALVESCO)
- Fluticasone furoate (ARNUITY ELLIPTA)
- Fluticasone furoate-vilanterol (BREO ELLIPTA)
- Fluticasone furoate-umeclidinium-vilanterol (TRELEGY ELLIPTA)
- Fluticasone propionate (FLOVENT HFA, FLOVENT DISKUS and AERMONY RESPICLICK)
- Fluticasone propionate-salmeterol (ADVAIR, ADVAIR DISKUS and ARBESDA RESPICLICK)
- Formoterol fumarate (FORADILand OXEZE TURBUHALER)
- Glycopyrronium bromide (SEEBRI BREEZHALER)
- Indacaterol maleate (ONBREZ BREEZHALER)
- Indacaterol-glycopyrronium (ULTIBRO BREEZHALER)
- Mometasone furoate (ASMANEX TWISTHALER)
- Mometasone furoate-formoterol (ZENHALE)
- Salmeterol xinafoate (SEREVENT DISKHALER and SEREVENT DISKUS)
- Tiotropium (SPIRIVA and SPIRIVA RESPIMAT)
- Tiotropium-olodaterol (INSPIOLTO RESPIMAT)
- Umeclidinium (INCRUSE ELLIPTA)
- Umeclidinium-vilanterol (ANORO ELLIPTA)
To provide input, please visit http://www.gov.bc.ca/BCyourvoice. Input will be accepted from February 27, 2019 until April 24, 2019 at midnight.
REMINDER: Public input into the PharmaCare review of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) treatments has been extended until April 24, 2019. Don’t miss your chance to participate!
The Ministry of Health is considering the following drugs for PharmaCare coverage, and is seeking patient, caregiver, and patient group input:
- Isavuconazole (CRESEMBA)
- Latanoprostene bunod (VYZULTA)
- OnabobotulinumtoxinA (BOTOX)
- Semaglutide (OZEMPIC)
To provide input, visit http://www.gov.bc.ca/BCyourvoice. Input will be accepted from April 3 until May 1, 2019 at midnight.
How can my contribution make a difference?
All responses that are submitted during the open consultation are sent to the Drug Benefit Council. The Council takes the public’s input into consideration when they make their drug coverage recommendations. Drugs are posted for review on an ongoing basis.
Details of the Engagement:
Date: April 1, 2017
Category: Health & Safety