What is this engagement about?
The Ministry of Health has two main goals for the BC PharmaCare program:
- To cover drugs that support the health and well-being of British Columbians; and
- To make sure that the drugs PharmaCare covers are affordable and give the best value for money.
To meet the first goal, PharmaCare covers a drug only if it has a proven record of safety and effectiveness. To meet the second goal, PharmaCare compares each drug to the drugs it already covers that treat the same condition. For example, if more than one drug provides the same health benefit, PharmaCare may cover only the drug(s) that offers the best value.
Before PharmaCare decides if it will cover a drug, the drug goes through a full review to find out if covering it aligns
with the goals above. Patients, caregivers and patient groups have the opportunity to add their voices to the drug
Drug(s) available for input:
- Dupilumab (Dupixent™ – atopic dermatitis)
- Icosapent ethyl (Vascepa® – ischemic events in statin-treated patients)
- Upadacitinib (Rinvoq® – rheumatoid arthritis)
- Vedolizumab (Entyvio® – ulcerative colitis)
To provide input, please visit http://www.gov.bc.ca/BCyourvoice. Input will be accepted from Wednesday, February 26, 2020 to Wednesday, March 25, 2020 AT MIDNIGHT.
How can my contribution make a difference?
All responses that are submitted during the open consultation are sent to the Drug Benefit Council. The Council takes the public’s input into consideration when they make their drug coverage recommendations. Drugs are posted for review on an ongoing basis.
Details of the Engagement:
Date: June 6, 2017
Category: Health & Safety