Whistler Blackcomb must provide public access through the Whistler and Blackcomb Controlled Recreation Areas to Garibaldi Provincial Park. Whistler Blackcomb is also required to ensure the Controlled Recreation Areas are safe and secure.
Whistler Blackcomb, the Province, and partner groups have been working together on a solution for winter backcountry access through the Blackcomb Controlled Recreation Area. This access route must be managed for safety and consider the needs of public users.
Mapping and details of the public access routes can be found here: https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/the-mountain/about-the-mountain/backcountry.aspx
Last season, you provided feedback on the interim access route. As a result, the following improvements have been made for the 2022-2023 winter season:
- Blackcomb Bench Climb – Upgrades to the lower mountain route provide an improved user experience. The connector for the North Route, South Route, and Excelerator provides a new opportunity for uphill access and in-bounds backcountry skiing.
- South Route – This is the interim access route that was originally piloted last year and will be available again this year with an extension of the timeframe for access until 9:30am
- North Route – New winter access route that travels through the Controlled Recreation Area into Garibaldi Park to the Phalanx area.
- Signage – improved for all routes
- Reduced Backcountry Lift Ticket – For members of the public that prefer lift access to Garibaldi Park, the backcountry lift pass has been reduced from $62 to $45.
We want to hear your thoughts on these new improvements. Take the survey here.
Feedback will be accepted until 4pm (PT) on May 31, 2023.
How your contribution makes a difference
The survey responses will help identify public interest and concerns regarding backcountry access routes and highlight opportunities for future improvements.
Details of the Engagement
Date: December 22, 2022 to May 31, 2023
Category: Recreation & Parks
Location: Lower Mainland – Southwest