What is this engagement about?
The Ministry of Labour introduced changes to the Employment Standards Act to ensure that the work children and young people do is age-appropriate and safe for their health and development.
Before we move forward with specific rules around child employment, we would like to hear from parents, guardians, employers, businesses, organizations and youth on their perspectives on:
- what types of work are appropriate for children and youth,
- what special rules (if any) should there be for children and youth engaged in this work, and
- should there be exemptions and what might those be?
We especially would like to hear from farmers and family-run businesses who would like to have their kids involved in the family business. Please note that some jobs are already exempt, including: babysitters, performers in recorded and live entertainment, newspaper carriers, and students in work-study programs. These jobs will not be impacted by the new age requirements or rules around light work.
There are several ways you can participate until November 15, 2019 at 4:00 pm:
- Complete the online questionnaire
- If you are a youth under 19 years of age complete the following online questionnaire. PLEASE NOTE: All youth must have the permission of their parent or guardian prior to sending feedback.
- Organizations, business and employers can make a formal submission by emailing email@example.com or mail to the address below. Please read the Guidelines for Formal Submissions.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail to the address below
PO Box 9484 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria BC V8W 9W6
How can my contribution make a difference?
These changes will bring B.C. in line with international child employment standards and align B.C. with regulations in almost all other Canadian jurisdictions that protect children from dangerous work. Your feedback will help to inform further policy and regulatory development on this topic.
Details of the Engagement:
Date: October 7, 2019 to November 15, 2019
Category: Families & Residents
Types: Online, Email, Mail