What is this engagement about?
British Columbia has a rich variety of fossils. They are the footprints of our history and a geological record of our past. Fossils are an important heritage resource with significant scientific and educational value. We want to ensure our history lives on into our future.
The province sought input to designate an official provincial fossil, which will be added to the Provincial Symbols of British Columbia.
Seven fossil candidates were shortlisted through a public selection process in partnership with the British Columbia Paleontological Alliance (BCPA). The final choices were based on how well the fossils met the following criteria:
- Uniqueness to British Columbia
- How well they reflect British Columbia’s history
- The wide scope of appeal to a general audience
- How well they can serve as an educational vehicle, through which the biology, ecology, and geology of the time is clear
- Their suitability and visual appeal for posters, displays and logos
How can my contribution make a difference?
You will be contributing to British Columbia’s rich ecological and biological identify. Your vote will help to tell the story of B.C.’s diverse history for generations to come.
Details of the Consultation:
Date: November 23, 2018
Category: Natural Resources