What is this engagement about?
The B.C. government is helping farmers farm so British Columbians can have access to locally grown and raised food now and for generations to come, while also protecting valuable farmland in the province.
Over the past year, government has updated legislation to revitalize the Agriculture Land Reserve (ALR) and Agricultural Land Commission (ALC). These legislative changes aim to further encourage farming and ranching in British Columbia and strengthen the independence of the ALC so it can better fulfill its mandate of preserving the ALR.
Now we would like to hear from British Columbians on how best to move forward on several important topics.
This work will include:
- Talking to the public, farmers, ranchers and other stakeholders about their experiences.
- Finding ways to create opportunities for ALR property owners to have the kind of housing arrangements they want, while protecting ALR land for farming.
- Addressing challenges related to helping farmers and ranchers in the ALR to strengthen, grow and diversify their businesses.
- Speaking with new or young farmers on ways to get established on the land, and in business.
Feedback will be invited from September 19, 2019 to November 15, 2019 at 4 p.m.
During this time, you will be able to share your feedback in several different ways including:
- Attending an in-person meeting being held throughout the province;
- Completing the online questionnaire; and
- Making a formal submission that will be posted to this site.
An in-person meeting inviting public feedback will be held on Thursday, September 19, 2019, at:
Location: Merville Hall, 1245 Fenwick Rd
Date: Thurs., Sept. 19, 2019
Time: 10 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
How can my contribution make a difference?
Your input will be considered as government develops additional ways to help farmers and ranchers in B.C. An engagement summary report will be posted on this site in winter 2020.
Details of the Engagement:
Date: September 19, 2019 to November 15 2019
Category: Natural Resources