As outlined in its annual Service Plan, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure is committed to delivering excellent customer service to all British Columbians. One of the strategies used to evaluate customer service and better understand customer expectations is the Ministry’s annual Customer Satisfaction Survey. This survey is based on the Common Measurement Tool (CMT), a survey framework designed by the Institute for Citizen-Centred Service to measure citizen satisfaction.
The customer satisfaction score is based on British Columbians’ ratings of service they received from the Ministry. The survey focuses on the six core drivers of customer satisfaction: fairness, staff knowledge, timeliness, accessibility, staff respect and courtesy, and information. The Customer Satisfaction Survey utilizes a web-based and in-person questionnaire to complete the study. Survey respondents include local governments, transportation industry stakeholders, and the general public. The Ministry uses the survey results to identify areas and processes to improve service delivery. The constant targets represent the Ministry’s ability to consistently deliver high quality customer service.
The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure performs this survey annually.
In 2018, the Ministry received more than 3,800 survey responses, including 550 face to face interviews performed by district staff.
Input Leads to Action:
|Target Customer Satisfaction Score (out of 5)||4.10||4.10||4.10||4.10||4.10||4.10||4.10||4.10|
|Actual Customer Satisfaction Score (out of 5)||4.14||4.14||4.18||4.15||4.11||4.13||4.26||4.11|
Since this survey began, the Ministry has heard a lot about what matters regarding transportation, including some key themes about:
- Summer and winter maintenance
- Commercial vehicle safety and enforcement
- Online services and application processes
- Highway signage and line markings
- Highway improvements
- Traffic management
- Rest areas
- Overall condition of the pavement
- Reliability and overall condition of the highway system
Results of the 2018 survey reveal:
- The Ministry exceeded its target Customer Satisfaction Score target (4.11/5).
- Nearly 68% of respondents rated that they were either “Satisfied” (4) or “Very Satisfied” (5) with the customer service they experienced in their interaction with the ministry.
- The Ministry is able to answer 71% of phone calls and voicemails within one business day.
- The Ministry has a strong social media presence (81% satisfaction) and responds to the majority of social media inquiries within one day.