Share your ideas on how we can ensure safe, secure and affordable rental housing in B.C.
Premier John Horgan has appointed a Rental Housing Task Force that will advise on how to improve security and fairness for renters and rental housing providers throughout the province.
The task force is led by Vancouver-West End MLA Spencer Chandra Herbert, who serves as the Premier’s Advisor on Residential Tenancy. Herbert will work alongside MLAs Adam Olsen and Ronna-Rae Leonard, who will make up the remaining two positions on the three-member task force.
The Rental Housing Task Force wants to better understand what further changes may be needed to modernize B.C.’s tenancy laws. Their work includes:
- Talking to the public, rental housing providers, renters and stakeholders on their views and experiences with current tenancy laws and processes;
- Speaking with Manufactured home park tenants, and owners about improvements to Manufactured Home Park legislation;
- Identifying options to improve security and fairness for both renters and rental housing providers, while addressing the challenges of affordability;
- A review of the existing laws and how they apply to different housing situations; and
- A review of innovative approaches in other jurisdictions.
The task force will report findings and make recommendations to Premier Horgan and Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing Selina Robinson in fall 2018.
The public engagement will include meetings with organizations, community meetings in 11 locations, submissions from organizations, and an online discussion that will be open until July 6 at 4 p.m.
Register online to attend a community meeting or join the online discussion below:
Discussion being led by Spencer Chandra Herbert, Chair, Rental Housing Task Force. Thank you for visiting B.C.’s Rental Housing Task Force online forum. The ideas and information you share here will help to improve the residential housing legislation for renters and rental housing providers, including mobile home park owners and mobile home... Read More
Discussion being led by Spencer Chandra Herbert, Chair, Rental Housing Task Force. Thank you for the online feedback so far. My colleague MLA Ronna-Rae Leonard and I had the pleasure of visiting Maple Ridge on June 4th making our first stop on the Rental Housing Task Force province-wide tour. We held the session in the rotunda at Thomas... Read More