Healthy Families BC is an online resource to help British Columbians make healthier lifestyle choices where they live, work and play. It focuses on providing current, evidence-based information on topics such as nutrition, physical activity, pregnancy, parenting and staying healthy with age.
The Healthy Families BC community features information written by registered dietitians, certified exercise physiologists, and other health experts from the Ministry of Health, partner organizations and health authorities. With blog posts and articles, as well as programs to assist with healthy living, the website offers critical tools for better managing personal health and reducing the incident of chronic disease.
Results noted here are from May 2011 to July 2016 – this engagement is ongoing
Input Received to date:
- 1,668,502 site visits
- 714 Blog Articles Posted
- 393 Blog Comments on 714 Blog Articles
- 20,793 people registered for the Healthy Families BC website (enables them to comment on the site), of those people, 8,947 have opted-in to receive the Healthy Families BC newsletter
- 1,500 plus responses have been sent from the Healthy Families BC inbox for public inquiries
Input leads to Action:
As part of Healthy Families BC campaign on Informed Dining (March 2014) a digital campaign posed the question: “Why do you think it’s important to know what’s in your meal?”
2,508 people entered the contest and of those, 1,800 people responded to the posted question. Some examples of responses were:
- Information is power;
- It has always been important to me to feed my family a healthy meal, that gets harder when you are working
- It is important to know what is in my meals because of how it makes me feel when I eat poorly compared to the life and energy I feel when I eat well;
- Simply for the health of it. Informed Dining is a great idea; and
- It makes a lasting impact on your health and wellness.
Additionally, to help people make informed decisions when dining Healthy Families BC has developed many programs, resources and online tools such as the following:
- Carrot Rewards – A free, healthy living app that lets you earn loyalty points for making healthy choices and tracking daily steps. Try out the fun and informative quizzes on various health topics and get rewarded!
- Sodium Sense – Many people don’t realize just how much sodium they consume each day. This tool illustrates which food items are higher or lower in sodium to help you make healthier eating choices in real life.
- Aging Well – A resource with articles, quizzes and videos to help people plan for a healthy future with tips/tools on finances, housing, transportation and social connections.
You can still join the community of support and action to help improve the health of BC’s families. You can register here and also participate and engage with Healthy Families BC on:
For more information please visit the Healthy Families BC website.