Grizzly Bear Stewardship Framework
Who: The Ministry of Forests
What: A draft stewardship framework for Grizzly Bears
Why: Improve conservation efforts and identify knowledge gaps
B.C. is looking into new ways to work with First Nations on wildlife and habitat protection. The Province prepared a draft Provincial Grizzly Bear Stewardship Framework in collaboration with:
- Stewardship staff
- Knowledge holders
- Hereditary chiefs and councillors
The Provincial Grizzly Bear Stewardship Framework summarizes Indigenous and Western scientific information, including biology and threats. The Framework also provides advice on the stewardship of grizzly bears and their habitats for:
- Land users
- Resource industries
- Natural resource and stewardship professionals
The Framework will support the preparation of regional grizzly bear stewardship plans.
We want to hear from you!
Please read the draft Framework before completing the questionnaire. Grizzly Bear Stewardship Framework Draft (PDF 3.6MB)
Complete the feedback questionnaire to share your thoughts!
Note: A separate engagement is taking place on the Commercial Bear-Viewing Strategy (PDF 1MB), which provides guidance and recommendations for both grizzly bear and black bear viewing throughout the Province.
There are four goals to this public engagement process:
- Educate and inform the public on the threats, conservation status, current stewardship goals, and approaches to meet those goals for grizzly bears in B.C.
- Seek feedback, interests, opinions, and views from the public on the draft Framework.
- Identify if there are knowledge gaps or deficiencies within the Framework.
- Highlight what aspects of grizzly bear stewardship are important to British Columbians to inform the allocation of resources.
Your feedback will inform the final version of the Grizzly Bear Stewardship Framework.
Estimated completion date: 2023.
A What We Heard report summarizing input will be posted on this page.
- Grizzly Bear
- Together for Wildlife
- Human-Wildlife Conflict
- BC Species Recovery Planning
- Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (Declaration Act)