Quesnel Forest Landscape Plan
Who: The Ministry of Forests
What: A pilot project landscape plan for the Quesnel Timber Supply Area
Where: Quesnel, B.C.
Why: To improve forest management for the area
How: Online, in-person
We want your feedback on the new Forest Landscape Plan for the Quesnel Timber Supply Area. It is being developed in partnership with First Nations, with collaboration from licensees, other partners, communities, and the public. The Forest Landscape Plan will replace existing Forest Stewardship Plans and establish objectives and outcomes for the area’s forest management. It will also provide direction on activities like forest planning, road building, harvesting, and silviculture.
The Forest Landscape Plan has five objectives:
- Manage the values placed on the forest ecosystems by local communities
- Manage the values placed on the forest ecosystems by First Nations
- Support the production and supply of timber in the area
- Support the protection and conservation of the environment
- Prevent, reduce, and adapt to impacts caused by significant disturbances like wildfires, insects, disease, drought, etc.
Please note that this engagement is on the Forest Landscape Plan for the area. It is not the periodic timber supply review. More information on this and other timber supply areas can be found on the Quesnel Timber Supply Area page.
This Plan is one of four pilots for other areas in the province.
Engagement on the Quesnel Forest Landscape Plan is focused on:
- The condensed Summary of Current Forest Management
- Management of these forest ecosystems
Find more information or read the full Summary of Current Forest Management on the Forest Landscape Plan project website.
How your contribution makes a difference
The goal of this engagement is to help achieve the FLP objectives outlined above. By reviewing the Summary of Current Forest Management and completing the questionnaire, you can tell us:
- What you value about the forest ecosystem in this area
- If current forest management is working
- If there are areas for improvement with forest management
- The direction you would like to see forest management take in the future
A What We Heard Report will be made public soon.