Koocanusa Weir Feasibility Study
On May 20, 2021, the Province of B.C.’s Columbia River Treaty Team released a report responding to a proposal to build a weir/dam on Koocanusa Reservoir. The report provides key details of the preliminary feasibility study by BGC Engineering Inc., a description of the public engagement process, a summary of questions and feedback received, and the Province’s conclusion.
View and/or download the Province’s report:
- Report and Appendix A: Exploring the Feasibility of Building a Weir/Dam on Koocanusa Reservoir – Summary of a Preliminary Assessment and Public Feedback
- Appendix B: Lake Koocanusa: Management for Recreation on a Popular International Reservoir, Stewart Rood, February 12, 2021
- Appendix C: Koocanusa Dam Proposal Upper Columbia Environmental Collaborative Comments, February 12, 2021
On Jan. 8, 2021, the B.C. government released an independent report by BGC Engineering Inc. outlining preliminary costs, benefits and impacts related to the feasibility of building a weir/dam across Koocanusa Reservoir. This report was commissioned by the Province in response to calls from some local residents to construct a weir across Koocanusa Reservoir, which spans the B.C.-Montana border south of Jaffray. The suggestion came as a result of ongoing concerns about summer changes to Koocanusa water levels and their impact to recreation and tourism on the Canadian side of the reservoir. Water levels rise and fall as a result of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ operations at Libby Dam on the U.S. side of the border.
The BGC report was presented virtually to the Regional District of East Kootenay Board on Jan. 8, 2021, and was subsequently posted here, to the Province’s Columbia River Treaty website. The Province held a public Virtual Town Hall on Jan. 12, 2021 to share the results of this study and to seek input. Feedback on the report was accepted until midnight on Feb. 12, 2021.
The Province’s Columbia River Treaty Team wishes to sincerely thank everyone who provided input and feedback.
View and/or download BGC’s preliminary report and virtual town hall presentation:
- BGC Engineering Inc. Report: Lake Koocanusa: High Level Assessment of a Proposed Dam
- BCG Engineering Inc. Presentation: Lake Koocanusa: High Level Assessment of a Proposed Dam