The Province hosted a Columbia River Treaty Virtual Town Hall on February 24, 2021 to give people from across the Columbia Basin and beyond a chance to hear from, and ask questions to, Canadian negotiators, Indigenous Nations, local government representatives and others involved in current efforts to modernize the Columbia River Treaty. Over 200 people joined the session from Canada and the U.S., raising a broad range of questions for the panel of speakers.
A report summarizing the Virtual Town Hall is available now. Serving as a companion piece to a recording of the event posted to YouTube in February, 2021, the report provides details of each presentation along with answers to more than 60 questions asked before and during the session. It describes the significant work underway to modernize the Treaty, as well as gives a voice to Basin residents and others with an interest in the historic transboundary agreement.
The B.C. Columbia River Treaty Team thanks all who attended and submitted their questions.
A recording of the Town Hall is available on the Province of BC’s YouTube Channel.
The summary report, Q&A appendix, agenda and presentations shared during the session and can be viewed below:
- Virtual Town Hall Report
- Virtual Town Hall Appendix A: Questions and Answers
- Columbia River Treaty Local Governments Committee Update
- Status of Ecosystem Function Studies
Those who are new to the Columbia River Treaty, or are keen to learn more, are encouraged to browse the resources linked below.
- 2019 Community Meetings Summary Report – summarizes what the Columbia River Treaty is, the lead-up to Canada-U.S. negotiations, progress accomplished as of 2019 in efforts to explore modernizing the Treaty, and a summary of public input and key issues for communities impacted by the Treaty.
- Columbia River Treaty Newsletters – provide updates on the Treaty and related activities.
- About the Treaty – details the Treaty’s history, structure, impacts and benefits.
- Ecosystem Function presentation from the 2019 Community Meetings – describes Indigenous Nations-led work to enhance Columbia Basin ecosystems, as of September 2019.
- Columbia River Treaty Local Governments Committee Updated Recommendations – details the Committee’s recommendations on the future of the Treaty and related domestic issues. Click the “Our Recommendations” tab on their website to view.